Saturday, January 31, 2015

P2C+ Toronto Update: the conference and next steps



Children are so precious, and are such characters. One thing that I quickly observed was that I had a room of 31 different personalities all interacting and having different opinions about everything. So much of my time and energy during the conference was spent getting to know these individuals, helping them to grow, and learning how to encourage and permit individual expression.

The Conference: 
This December 27th-January 1st I was the coordinator for the childcare at Power to Change - Students’ annual Eastern P2C+ conference in Toronto, reaching the children of the campus staff. Running four 13-hour days worth of content, giving leadership and organization to a team of about 15 volunteers and staff, and liaising with conference staff to create a memorable and inspiring conference experience. 

Many of the parents have integral roles at
P2C+ making childcare essential

I was so blessed by the time and love that was poured on the children making this year’s program enjoyable and memorable. The volunteers took time to explore the interests of the children, help them to be involved in an enjoyable activity, and to speak truth and life into a variety of situations. During free-time there was always a sport being played, knitting and stories being constructed, and a make-believe scenario being played out.

One opportunity was having French-only children in the group. It demanded that I spend time deliberately seeking out bilingual volunteers. And the most precious outcome was the French Immersion Ontarian children using their God inspired talent to connect with and encourage the French children who could not naturally integrate with their peers. I was also blessed to see the perseverance of the Quebec children as they were confronted by an English-prominent environment.

Watching a Gospel Presentation and relating it to our lives

Two events of my favourite during the conference were seeing the children dance together, and hearing their prayers. As a transitional aid, I had one upbeat, guided, child-safe dance video. What I didn’t expect was for the children to build bonds together and to expend so much energy. At their suggestion, we found KidBop videos that are popular songs with filtered lyrics performed by children. The kids just loved dancing and they owned the dance floor on NewYears eve.

During the morning and afternoon sessions, I always had a lesson planned. I was following Bill Bright’s curriculum which includes the power of Christ affecting our prayers. Hearing the children open their hearts to God and pray through their most important needs, was so precious. Hearing, “Dear Lord, please help me with understanding my dad’s sarcasm,” “Dear Lord, thank you for food!” and “Dear Lord, I pray that my friend would know you...” were just so priceless!

This year 33 University students accepted Christ while attending P2C+;
Hundreds of others experienced life-altering transformation, revelation and teaching.

Growth:
Of course there were learning opportunities for me both as a leader and as a teacher. One thing that I found awkward was transitions, and communicating excitement and clarity when introducing learning times. I think that, like initiating an evangelistic conversation, you just have to do it and to know your content well! 

Also, the families have deliberately filtered the media their children are exposed to, which became clearer this year. Some marketing on Youtube and underlying attitudes in children’s movies were brought to my attention as a concern. I knew that this was communicated in a gracious and positive way, but I still felt like something I was passionate about (and which had become an idol) was threatened. This was a great opportunity to pray and to realign to God’s will, and it inspired me to discuss with the children the importance of putting God first and not holding on too tightly to his blessings.

One of the biggest challenges in running childcare is that expectations are not as easily defined as it would be for a Sunday school program or Summer Camp. I want to include teaching opportunities and fun individual or group free-time, but it is not clear how to balance the two. It is something that I continue to explore and reconsider.

From on of my volunteers:
"3 days. 20 kids. 1 happy heart. // To all the moms and dads of these little ones, thank you for you. For your love, patience, and dedication to raising these beautiful hearts as children of God. // To all the teachers, thanks for being the rock stars that you are day in and day out. // To all my friends, here's my challenge to you for 2015. Volunteer. Volunteer in a classroom, donate school supplies, tutor, mentor, buy a cup of coffee for the teachers in your neighbourhood. If you see a need, go fill it. Take the time to invest in the lives of the children in your community." ~ a volunteer

Personally:
This ministry has had a huge affect on my life, and really inspired spiritual growth. Providentially, the Lord provided a mature mentor who has been a source of wisdom and encouragement from God. He has surrounded me with a community with whom I am excited to grow deeper, and He has called me to more intentional prayer, Bible study and listening to the Holy Spirit. I remain the coordinator for the Children’s Ministry at Grace Montreal Church and I am thankful for the individuals who serve the Lord with perseverance alongside me.

God gave me a fairly lofty and inspiring vision of what the childcare with Power to Change - Students can accomplish in the lives of these children, to reach their spheres of influence, now and in the future. I have not forgotten, but I am learning how this vision is played out in through my leadership. If you are not aware of what this vision is, please email me and I will send you my previous update that included this information!

Next Step:
My God-given passion for children and the confirmation to move in this direction has lead me to commit to coordinating the childcare for both the summer staff gathering and next year’s P2C+ in Toronto. I am currently praying for discernment about my involvement throughout the year, but I am considering a part-time contract for a 12-18 month period.

I am overwhelmingly inspired by the generous involvement of those who have prayed for and invested in this ministry! It would be my pleasure if you would continue to pray with me and trek with me in this adventure through financial contribution. I am excited to see the Lord work in and through me in this ministry!



Thank you!


1 comment:

Jesskah said...

This was great to read. (I would say more but I am at work and should be... not reading blogs.)